Addictions and other Character Flaws

I am a complexity of randomosity. I love the dark for its secrets and solace, a downward transcendental redemption for the sins committed in the daylight. My life is an addiction. Much as sometimes I may want to turn away and start from scratch, somehow it draws me back in. I want to remember the things most important, so here's the proof - and another addiction.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Britney's Birthing Not Beautiful

A lot of hype in the last two days has surrounded the unveiling of a sculpture depicting a pregnant Britney Spears giving birth in a, dare I say it, very unconventional position. The sculpture, which I refuse to call "art", will be unveiled next month at the Capla-Kesting Gallery in New York.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Please, someone, tell me why this is necessary.

Sculptor Daniel Edwards is also responsible for a depiction of Ted Williams' frozen head. Need I say more?

Supposedly, according to news reports anyway, the sculpture was designed as a "pro-life monument"; to me, it comes across as one more reason why somebody is idealizing someone who deserves no such acclaim.

First and foremost...the sculpture is just plain repulsive. Seeing a Renaissance bust or nude painting is one thing, but one can only imagine the thoughts that will run through most minds at seeing the "pop tart" in a highly compromising position that has much more to do with conception than with delivery. Rather than emphasizing the beauty of birth, it is a stunning reminder of Brit's reputation as a less-than-savory character and her lack of qualifications for role model.

Some in the pro-life camp are protesting the use of the image, claiming that it is damaging to the movement. I don't blame them - certainly, seeing such a poorly-conceived (no pun intended) image is hardly better than the blood and gore generally employed by anti-abortionists in swaying the public opinion. In fact, it's rather a turn-off, and I wager that there will be a few former ideological fence-sitters who will fall down on the side of the pro-choicers. Indeed...

You know what? Nobody's happy about this. The pro-choice community, however, is only raising its hackles at the fact that the sculpture is dubbed a "pro-life monument". Please reconsider your complaint, my friends; as I have said, the sculpture is more an attraction to abortion, for who ever wants to see Britney (or anybody else) in that position? Let them have their monument. Just remember this, though: you are more than entitled to take offense at a pro-life exhibit, and you should campaign for a balanced viewpoint - possibly a pro-choice exhibit? I'm sure there are more than enough artists, both recognized and developing, who would be happy to create a "pro-choice monument".

For the record: I am pro-life when it comes to me...but I am pro-choice when it comes to everybody else.

Allow me to explain.

I could not and would not ever take it upon myself to kill a conceived being. I believe that life begins at conception, and if I become pregnant under any circumstances it is God's will. I will not fight with God.

However, I also recognize that my right to make that choice ends with my own body, and that for me to dictate what you can do with your body is a violation of the free will that God gave you. Again, it comes down to: I will not fight with God.

One last note on this travesty, however: though ill-conceived and for a terrible cause...the sculpture itself is good. Good lines, smooth and precise; it is possible to see the human depicted in the marble. The fact that the sculptor never met the subject makes the likeness even more impressive.

But next time, Dan, pick a better subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home