Addictions and other Character Flaws

I am a complexity of randomosity. I love the dark for its secrets and solace, a downward transcendental redemption for the sins committed in the daylight. My life is an addiction. Much as sometimes I may want to turn away and start from scratch, somehow it draws me back in. I want to remember the things most important, so here's the proof - and another addiction.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Black History Month

Every February we celebrate Black History Month. For twenty-eight days we learn about the black leaders, inventors, and icons who shaped modern society. We talk about Martin Luther King and "I Have A Dream."
I memorized Dr. King's speech for a competition, and the memory has long since faded. The line I remember, though, is "I have a dream that one day my children will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
Truly memorable words, those are, and more meaningful than anybody could imagine. Dr. King was not just speaking to his black audience, though they may have been the target when he first uttered that phrase. He was sending a message to every person in the world.
When I was younger I thought the concept of Black History Month was fun, just like learning about any different culture. But now...I don't see why we should have Black History Month.
Alright, wait just a second. This does not develop from some overblown sense of white supremacy, because though I may be white, I know that I am not above anyboody in this world. The reason I disagree with Black History Month is that "Black" history should be taught right alongside "White" history and "Asian" history.
There shouldn't be this dichotomy of "everyday history" (i.e., white) and "black history." Every person has a part to play in the world, no matter their race or ethnicity, or their religious convictions or their political viewpoint. There is only one true race in the world, and that is the human race.
I wish that everybody could be colorblind for just one day, so nobody would be able to tell if the person they were speaking to was black or Indian or Nordic. Fortunately, though, people can make the decision to be colorblind in their own life.
"I have a dream that one day my children will be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character..."
...one day, I hope that becomes a reality. Then, maybe, we can celebrate our last Black History Month and make every year a Human History Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home